About Microsoft MD-101 Exam
The Microsoft MD-101: Managing Modern Desktops exam evaluates the competence of the applicants in deploying and upgrading OS as well as managing profiles & policies. It also measures their expertise in protecting and working with devices and managing applications along with data. This is one of two tests that the professionals need to ace to get the Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate certification.
The intended audience for the Microsoft MD-101 test is administrators. These specialists possess the skills in managing, deploying, monitoring, securing, and setting client apps and devices in an enterprise environment. They usually work together with the Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrators to create and implement device strategies, which fulfill the business needs of modern enterprises. The exam doesn’t have any formal prerequisites, but the individuals should be familiar with various Microsoft 365 workloads and also be experienced and proficient in the deployment, configuration, and maintenance of Windows 10 and non-Windows technology and devices.
Microsoft MD-101 has the duration of 2 hours and consists of 40 to 60 questions of various types. It can only be taken in the English language. The applicants can register for and schedule the test through Pearson VUE. They can pass it as an online proctored exam or in-person at one of the Pearson VUE testing centers. The required score is 700 points on a scale of 1000.
Microsoft proposes the instructor-led training course to help the professionals prepare for the exam. It equips them with the skills in planning and implementing OS deployment strategies utilizing contemporary methods. Moreover, it covers important components of modern management and co-management strategies. Furthermore, this course focuses on incorporating Microsoft Intune into the organizations as well as deploying and managing applications. In addition, it includes the essential concepts of security in contemporary management. The specialists can find details of this training option on the Microsoft website. Besides that, they can think about using other relevant tools, such as practice tests, exam dumps, and free online learning paths. These materials can help the students get the necessary knowledge and polish the skill set that is required for this certification test.
The specialists who want to nail Microsoft MD-101 should thoroughly prepare for it. First of all, they can get familiar with the domains of the test. It is recommended that the individuals download the exam blueprint from the official webpage. The overview of the subject areas that are included in this certification test are enumerated below:
Deploying and Upgrading OS: The first section evaluates the proficiency of the test takers in the following:
- Planning Windows 10 deployment: It focuses on the skills of the applicants in evaluating infrastructure readiness, planning app compatibility, and upgrading & downgrading paths. In addition, it covers their competence in measuring and choosing the appropriate deployment options.
- Implementing/planning Windows 10 by utilizing Windows Autopilot: It includes selecting the techniques based on the prerequisites, creating, validating, and assigning a deployment profile, deploying Windows 10 as well as importing device HW info on the Cloud service, troubleshooting deployment, and extracting device HW info on a CSV file.
- Implementing/planning Windows 10 utilizing Microsoft Deployment Toolkit: It requires your experience in troubleshooting & monitoring deployment, managing driver & application deployment, as well as creating/utilizing task sequences.
- Managing accounts, Virtual Private Network connections, and certificates on Windows 10: It covers setting Virtual Private Network clients, managing & setting the certificates for client devices, and securing privileged accounts on Windows 10.
Managing Profiles and Policies: This module checks the skills of the professionals in:
- Implementing compliance policies for devices: It includes implementing and working with devices compliance policies.
- Setting device profiles: It covers the proficiency in planning, applying, controlling, and working with device profiles as well as implementing & setting public devices or assigned access.
- Working with user profiles: It focuses on the experience of the individuals in setting user profiles and Enterprise State Roaming in Azure Active Directory.
Managing and Protecting Devices: The next subject area measures the competence and expertise of the learners in the following:
- Implementing and managing application, device, and threat protection: It requires that the test takers possess the proficiency in implementing and working with Windows Defender Exploit Guard, Defender Application Guard, as well as Windows Defender Credential Guard. In addition, it covers their skills in working with enterprise-level disk encryption and protecting devices utilizing Endpoint Security, among others.
- Working with Microsoft Intune devices: It includes reviewing device inventory, enrolling Windows and non-Windows devices, and setting Microsoft Intune bulk & automatic enrollment as well as enrollment options in Microsoft Intune.
- Monitoring devices: It focuses on monitoring devices utilizing Desktop Analysis & Azure Monitor as well as monitoring device inventory reports utilizing Endpoint Manager Admin Center.
- Managing updates: It requires that the examinees have the knowledge of monitoring Windows 10 updates, applying Windows updates utilizing Microsoft Intune, and setting Windows 10 delivery optimization.
Working with Applications and Data: The last part requires that the candidates show their experience in:
- Deploying and updating apps: It includes the competence of the test takers in assigning applications to groups, deploying apps utilizing Microsoft Intune and Microsoft Store for Google Play/iTunes/Business.
- Implementing Mobile Application Management: It focuses on the skills of the professionals in planning and working with App Protection Policies. It also includes planning & applying Application Configuration Policies.
The specialists who want to build a successful career in the field of Information Technology can expedite the process by obtaining the relevant certifications. The professionals who ace the MD-101 test along with the second exam will get the Microsoft 365 Certified: Modern Desktop Administrator Associate certificate. It can be a pretty helpful point for building a highly rewarding career in the domain of administration. Some of the positions that the individuals can think about are a System Administrator, a Desktop Engineer, a Service Engineer, a Microsoft 365 Operations Engineer, a Cloud System Administrator, a Desktop Engineering Analyst, and a Desktop Technician. The average remuneration for these job roles is $78,000 per year.