About Microsoft MS-500 Exam
The MS-500: Microsoft 365 Security Administration exam evaluates the ability of the candidates to perform the technical tasks related to the implementation and management of identity & access; implementation and management of threat protection; implementation and management of information protection; management of governance and compliance features within Microsoft 365. After acing this test, the individuals are eligible for earning the Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate certification.
The Microsoft MS-500 exam is intended for those practitioners who want to improve their expertise in the implementation, management, and monitoring of security & compliance solutions for Microsoft 365 as well as hybrid environments. The individuals planning to take this certification test must be conversant with Microsoft 365 workloads and possess competency in identity protection, threat protection, information protection, security management, as well as data governance. Moreover, they are required to develop a solid understanding of the exam topics.
The Microsoft MS-500 exam is available for the students in two languages, including English and Japanese. To register for the test, you should go through the Pearson VUE platform and pay $165. This sum applies to the examinees located in the United States. If you are going to sit for the test in another country, this cost may be lower for you. You can check the actual exam pricing on the official webpage. You will also find a variety of useful training tools there. Microsoft offers both the paid and free options to prepare for Microsoft MS-500.
The paid option is presented by the 4-day instructor-led course, MS-500T00-A: Microsoft 365 Security Administration. This training is ideal for those who are new to the domain and need support from a seasoned expert in the field. The details of this course can be found on the certification exam webpage. If you prefer to study on your own, you can take advantage of free online learning paths offered by the vendor. The self-paced paths enable you to prepare for the test according to your own schedule. There are 5 learning paths available for the Microsoft MS-500 exam and they are as follows:
- Protecting Identity & Access with Azure Active Directory
- Defending against Threats using Microsoft Threat Protection
- Managing Insider Risk within Microsoft 365
- Managing Security using Microsoft 365
- Protecting Enterprise Information using Microsoft 365
Another effective preparation tool is practice tests. Microsoft provides the candidates with the official mock exam that will help them acquire an in-depth understanding of the pattern & timeframe of the test, get familiar with the types of questions covered in the actual exam as well as study the possible answers. Practice tests will enable you to feel much more confident during the real exam session.
Your success in the certification exam is impossible without a good comprehension of its topics. The candidates need to develop mastery in the following subject areas to reach the required passing score in their Microsoft MS-500 test:
Implementation and Management of Identity & Access (30-35%)
- Securing of Microsoft 365 hybrid environments, including planning Azure AD authentication options & synchronization options as well as monitoring & troubleshoot Azure AD Connect events;
- Securing of Identities, including implementation of Azure AD group membership and password management, configuration and management of identity governance;
- Implementation of authentication techniques, including sign-on security, multi-factor authentication (MFA), Windows Hello, etc.;
- Implementation of conditional access, including compliance & conditional access policy planning, configuration and management of device compliance for endpoint security, implementation and management of conditional access;
- Implementation of role-based access control (RBAC);
- Implementation of Azure AD Privileged Identity Management (PIM);
- Implementation of Azure AD Identity Protection, including implementation of user risk & sign-in risk policy, configuration of Identity Protection alerts, review and respond to risk events.
Implementation and Management of Threat Protection (20-25%)
- Implementation of an organization hybrid threat protection solution, including Microsoft Defender for Identity solution planning, installation and configuration of Microsoft Defender for Identity, monitoring and management of Microsoft Defender for Identity, etc.;
- Implementation of device threat protection, including a Microsoft Defender for Endpoint solution planning, implementation of Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, management and monitoring of Microsoft Defender for Endpoint, etc.;
- Implementation and management of application & device protection, including device & application protection planning, configuration and management of Microsoft Defender Application Guard, configuration and management of Microsoft Defender Application Control, etc.;
- Implementation and management of Microsoft Defender for Office 365, including configuration of Microsoft Defender for Office 365, monitoring of Microsoft Defender for Office 365, conduction of simulated attacks with the help of Attack Simulator;
- Monitoring of Microsoft 365 Security using Azure Sentinel, including Azure Sentinel planning & implementation, configuration of playbooks within Azure Sentinel, management and monitoring of Azure Sentine, respond to threats in Azure Sentinel.
Implementation and Management of Information Protection (15-20%)
- Securing of data access within Office 365, including implementation and management of Customer Lockbox, configuration of data access within Office 365 collaboration workloads, configuration of B2B sharing for the outside users;
- Management of sensitivity labels, including a sensitivity label solution planning, configuration of sensitivity labels and policies, configuration & utilization of label analytics, utilization of sensitivity labels with Sharepoint, Teams, OneDrive, as well as Office apps;
- Management of Data Loss Prevention (DLP), including creation and management of DLP policies, creation and management of sensitive data types, monitoring of DLP reports, management of DLP notifications, etc.;
- Implementation and management of Microsoft Cloud App Security, including Cloud App Security implementation planning, configuration of Microsoft Cloud App Security, management of cloud app discovery, management of entries within the Cloud app catalog, management of apps within Cloud App Security, etc.
Management of Governance & Compliance Features within Microsoft 365 (25- 30%)
- Configuration and analysis of security reporting, including monitoring and management of device security status with the help of Microsoft Endpoint Manager Admin Center, monitoring and management of security & dashboards with the help of Microsoft 365 Security Center configuration of alert policies, etc.;
- Managing and analyzing audit reports & logs, including auditing & reporting planning, audit log search execution, review and interpretation of compliance reports & dashboards, configuration of audit alert policy;
- Management of data retention & governance, including data governance & retention planning, review and interpretation of data governance reports & dashboards, configuration of retention labels & policies, etc.;
- Management of search & investigation, content search & eDiscovery planning, delegation of permissions to utilize search & discovery tools, etc.;
- Management of data privacy regulation compliance, including regulatory compliance planning within Microsoft 365, review and interpretation of GDPR dashboards & reports, management of Data Subject Requests (DSRs), etc.
The Microsoft MS-500 exam leads to the award of the Microsoft 365 Certified: Security Administrator Associate certification. This certificate majorly prepares the professionals for performing the job role of a Security Administrator. After getting certified, you will be able to efficiently secure Microsoft 365 enterprise environments, respond to threats, execute investigations, and enforce data governance. You will also gain sufficient expertise to cooperate with the business stakeholders, Microsoft 365 Enterprise Administrators, as well as other workload administrators for planning and implementing security strategies and ensuring that the solutions conform to the policies & regulations of the enterprise. In addition, the successful candidates can take up other positions, such as a Network Administrator, a Systems Administrator, a Network Infrastructure Administrator, a Systems Engineer, an Exchange Administrator, a Data Center Engineer, a Microsoft Office 365 Analyst, a Collaboration Administrator, and a Support Administrator, among many others. The average salary for these titles is $83,036 per annum.