About Microsoft MTA: Database Fundamentals Certification
The MTA: Database Fundamentals certificate validates the candidates’ knowledge of the fundamental technical concepts of database. It also evaluates their core technical skills and enhances their technical credibility. This is a foundational-level certification, but it is not a prerequisite for other advanced-level options. However, it gives you a solid base for learning more difficult skills. To obtain this MTA certificate, you must pass the Microsoft 98-364 exam.
The potential candidates for this path are the entry-level professionals looking to take up the job role of a Developer. These candidates want to validate their introductory knowledge and skills with databases, which include relational databases. Although this certification does not have any official prerequisites, it is recommended that the individuals know the concepts and technologies covered in the topics of its qualifying exam.
The Microsoft 98-364 test measures the introductory skills and knowledge of the candidates of the databases such as relational databases (including Microsoft SQL Server). They will also be tested on a variety of concepts and technical knowledge in the domain of the exam topics. This test contains 40-60 questions and you must complete them within 90 minutes. The question formats that will be delivered include scenario-based, best answer, short answer, multiple choice, active screen, drag and drop, build list, and hot area, among others. The fee for taking this certification exam is $127 and the learners can schedule it with Pearson VUE (for the non-students) or Certiport (for the students and instructors). You can sit for the test in English, Spanish, Spanish (Mexico), Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, French, Japanese, German, Portuguese (Brazil), or Italian.
To prepare for the 98-364 exam with great deliberation, the interested candidates can explore the official instructor-led training course, known as Database Administration Fundamentals: MTA Exam 98-364. This is a 3-day training option designed to help the students develop a good understanding of the topics covered in the certification test. These include Core Database Concepts, Manipulating Data, Creating Database Objects, Administering a Database, and Data Storage. In addition to the course, you can also explore the official practice test as well as other resources provided by other reputable IT websites.
The Microsoft 98-364 test evaluates the technical skills of the candidates in a wide range of topics covered in the exam content. Therefore, it is important to start your preparation by reviewing the official exam blueprint to enable you to understand the scope of the domains that are covered in it. Thus, the topics and subtopics covered in Microsoft 98-364 are the following:
Understanding the Core Concepts of Databases (20-25%)
- Understanding the process in which data is stored within tables: The potential candidates should understand and know how to identify a table and know how it relates to data required to be stored within the database. It also covers their understanding of fields/columns and records/rows;
- Understanding the concepts of the relational database: It covers one’s understanding of the concepts of relational database and the need for Relational Database Management Systems. It also covers an understanding of how the relations are instituted;
- Understanding DML (Data Manipulation Language): This area requires a good understanding of DML as well as its role within databases;
- Understanding DDL (Data Definition Language): The applicants should have a solid understanding of how T-SQL may be utilized for the creation of database objects such as views and tables.
Creating Database Objects (20-25%)
- Choosing the types of data: It requires your understanding of data types, their importance, and the ways they use to affect the storage requirements;
- Creating views: You need to know how to create a view with the use of T-SQL or a graphical designer and when to use views;
- Understanding tables & creating them: It is important to know the ways of creating tables in a database with the use of the proper ANSI SQL syntax as well as the purpose of tables.
Manipulating Data (25-30%)
- Choosing data: The students should be able to use the SELECT queries for the extraction of data from a table. It also covers their skills in extracting data with the use of ‘Joins’ and combining result sets through the use of INTERSECT and UNION;
- Inserting data: This part covers your knowledge of how data can be inserted within a database and how to utilize INSERT statements;
- Deleting data: You should be able to delete the selected data from multiple or single tables. Also, you need to have the capacity to ensure data as well as referential integrity by using the transactions.
Understanding Data Storage (15-20%)
- Understanding the concepts of normalization: The individuals should understand the purposes for normalization and five common normalization levels. They also need to demonstrate their understanding of how to normalize databases to the third normal form;
- Understanding the primary, composite, and foreign keys: This subtopic covers the learners’ knowledge of the purpose for the keys within a database. You should also know how to select the relevant primary keys, choose the relevant type of data for keys and the relevant fields for the composite keys, as well as understand the existing relationship between foreign and primary keys;
- Understanding the indexes: This domain requires the examinees’ understanding of the non-clustered and clustered indexes as well as their function within a database.
Administering a Database (10-15%)
- Understanding the concepts of database security: It covers the candidates’ knowledge of the need for security in a database as well as the specific objects that can be secured and what objects need to be secured, roles, and user accounts;
- Understanding the concepts of backups & restore of the database: This subsection requires an understanding of different types of backup such as incremental and full backups as well as the significance of backups and how to restore the database.
Possible Career Paths
This Microsoft MTA certification is aimed at the developers and entry-level professionals to give them some leverage in getting a rewarding job. Obtaining this certificate is a great start in the domain of IT. Some of the job roles that the specialists can explore with this certification include a Systems Analyst, a Website Developer, a Software Engineer, a Help Desk Technician, a Video Game Developer, a Network Administrator, an IT Security Specialist, and a Database Administrator. The certificate holders can earn an average of $55,000 per annum. With more level of experience, you can explore more rewarding career prospects.