About CompTIA A+ Certification
The CompTIA A+ certification validates the candidates’ competence and skills in configuring and supporting PC, mobile and IoT devices, installing and imaging virtual machines, implementing basic data backup and recovery methods, supporting basic IT infrastructure and networking, and applying best practices for data storage and management. It also evaluates their expertise in configuring device operating systems, data management, baseline security, troubleshooting and problem-solving, scripting, and applying best practices for documentation.
To get the CompTIA A+ certificate, the individuals should pass two exams, which are 220-1001 and 220-1002. The target candidates for this certification are those entry-level IT specialists who want to boost their careers in this field. There are no any official requirements for this certificate. At the same time, the applicants are recommended to have at least nine to twelve months of practical experience in the lab or field.
Each certification test is 90 minutes long and includes a maximum of 90 questions. There are several types of questions: performance-based, multiple choice, and drag and drop. The passing score for the CompTIA 220-1001 exam is 675 points, while CompTIA 220-1002 comes with 700 points on a scale of 100-900. Both the tests are available in English, Japanese, German, Portuguese, Spanish, and Thai. The students need to pay the registration fee of $232 per exam.
To prepare for these certification tests, CompTIA recommends that the candidates take a look at the special preparation resources. They can choose among various official options, such as instructor-led courses, virtual labs, eLearning, video training, study guides, and others. In addition, there is a way to use the special preparation bundle. The learners can also combine these tools to create their individual approaches. With these materials, they can improve their competence and prepare to complete the exams on the first try. Check the official website for more details.
The 220-1001 and 220-1002 tests cover a wide range of subject areas, so the applicants should improve their expertise and skills in these topics to ace these certification exams. All in all, CompTIA 220-1001 includes the following domains:
- Mobile Devices (14%) – This section requires that the test takers demonstrate their competence in working with various mobile devices. It is important to be familiar with such processes as installing and configuring laptop hardware and components, utilizing different laptop features, comparing characteristics of various types of mobile devices, configuring basic mobile device network connectivity, and utilizing the relevant ways to carry out synchronization of mobile devices.
- Networking (20%) – The examinees should develop their expertise in the networks and connections topic. This module requires that the students know how to fulfill such tasks as comparing and contrasting TCP and UDP ports, protocols, and their purposes, installing and setting up a basic wired or wireless SOHO network, describing various network configuration concepts, and describing the characteristics and purposes of services provided by networked hosts. It is also important to be familiar with common networking hardware devices and wireless networking protocols.
- Hardware (27%) – In this domain, the candidates should show their knowledge of hardware. This subject area covers basic cable types, their characteristics, and purposes as well as various connector types. In addition, the individuals need to have the abilities to perform such tasks as installing RAM types, CPUs, motherboards, and add-on cards, selecting and configuring storage devices, installing and maintaining different print technologies, among others.
- Virtualization and Cloud Computing (12%) – As for this part, the applicants need to demonstrate their skills and competence in comparing and contrasting Cloud computing concepts as well as setting up client-side virtualization.
- Hardware and Network Troubleshooting (27%) – This topic requires one’s mastery of solving device and network issues. It is important to show expertise in utilizing best practices for solving various problems. You should also be able to troubleshoot hard drives, RAID arrays, projectors, displays, diverse mobile devices, motherboards, and so on.
At the same time, the CompTIA 220-1002 exam consists of the following areas:
- Operating Systems (27%) – This section is all about working with various operating systems. The individuals are required to show their understanding of different operating systems, their types, features, tools, and purposes. It is also important to be familiar with OS installation and upgrade processes. In addition, the learners need to have the skills in comparing the features of various Microsoft Windows versions and describing application installation and configuration concepts.
- Security (24%) – This subject area assesses the examinees’ expertise in devices and network security. It also requires that they demonstrate their competence in logical security concepts, comparing wireless security protocols as well as preventing, detecting, and removing malware. Moreover, the test takers should have knowledge of differences of Windows operating system security settings, best practices for protecting workstations and mobile devices, data destruction and disposal methods, and configuring security on SOHO networks.
- Software Troubleshooting (26%) – This part is dedicated to validate the applicants’ mastery of troubleshooting computer and mobile device issues. They are assumed to show their skills in troubleshooting and fixing Microsoft Windows OS issues and computer security problems. It is also important to have abilities to implement diverse practices to solve malware problems as well as various mobile OS and application issues.
- Operational Procedures (23%) – In the last domain, the candidates need to show their expertise in using best practices related to types of documentation, implementing basic-level disaster prevention and recovery methods, utilizing the relevant communication techniques, describing common safety procedures, using remote access technologies as well as in identifying the basics of scripting.
Those professionals who pass the 220-1001 and 220-1002 exams will obtain the CompTIA A+ certificate. With this certification, the individuals can take up various job roles in the field of IT. Some of the positions that they can explore include a Desktop Support Administrator, a Technical Support Specialist, a System Support Specialist, an Associate Network Engineer, and a Data Support Technician. Other titles that the test takers can also think about are a Help Desk Tech, an End-User Computing Technician, a Service Desk Analyst, a Help Desk Technician, and a Field Service Technician. The median salary outlook for the certificate holders is $63,000 per annum.