About CompTIA PK0-004 Exam
If you are a professional who wants to manage both smaller and less complex or medium-sized projects as part of your other job duties and still possess foundational project management skills, then the CompTIA PK0-004 exam is designed for you. This test is created to certify that the successful candidates have the expertise required to efficiently manage the project lifecycle and ensure appropriate communication, as well as manage the stakeholders and resources and maintain project documentation.
The target audience for the CompTIA PK0-004 exam is those business professionals who are involved in coordinating and managing small- and medium-sized projects. This test is developed for those individuals who want to assist in managing small projects or coordinating projects. The potential candidates considering this exam should have 120 months or more of cumulative project management experience.
After successfully passing the test, the applicants are awarded the CompTIA Project+ certification that gives them the basic concepts required to manage projects of different sizes. CompTIA Project+ is usually more versatile as compared to other certificates as it covers the essential project management concepts comprehensively beyond the scope of only one framework or methodology.
CompTIA publishes the details of its exams, and the PK0-004 certification test is not an exception. According to the information that is published on the vendor’s website, this exam consists of a maximum of 95 questions, which are expected in different formats, including drag and drop and multiple choice (multiple & single response). These questions have to be covered within the allocated time of 90 minutes. The test is available in two languages, English & Japanese, for $338. The passing score is 710 points on a scale of 100-900.
To make it easier for the students to prepare for its exams, CompTIA offers a wide range of training options. As for the PK0-004 test, it is recommended to opt for virtual labs, study guides, or instructor-led training. If you prefer textbooks rather than courses, you can pick up the official guides. These books provide you with all the knowledge that is required for gaining success in the exam questions. If you want to get in-classroom education, you can choose the instructor-led course. As for virtual labs, this resource estimates your strong areas and fills knowledge gaps in weak ones.
CompTIA PK0-004 is based on specific areas that form the topics from which the questions are set. There are 4 objectives covered in the exam content that are highlighted as the following:
Project Basics (36%)
Answering the questions that are directly related to this subject area, the candidates must be able to make evident that they possess the knowledge and skills that are needed to complete the following technical tasks:
- executing and developing project schedules of a given scenario;
- identifying the common project team organizational structures;
- identifying the basics of project cost control;
- comparing and contrasting standard project phases;
- classifying responsibilities and roles;
- summarizing the properties of the project;
- identifying the basic aspects of the Agile methodology (SCRUM meetings, establish a backlog, sprint planning, daily standup meetings, continuous feedback, etc.);
- explaining the importance of human resource, personal management, and physical resource (negotiating, forcing, soothing, confronting, compromising, team selection, team building, shared resources, benched resources, etc.).
Project Constraints (17%)
The second topic is all about the examinees’ understanding of accomplishing the operations that are done with the help of a given scenario, such as:
- predicting the impact of several constraint influences & variables throughout the process;
- explaining the importance of risk activities & strategies (accept, transfer, mitigate, avoid, exploit, identification planning, quantification, and so on).
Communication & Change Management (26%)
Attempting the questions under this domain, the students are supposed to show that they are capable of accomplishing a wide range of technical processes, including:
- using the appropriate communication method (Email, Fax, video conferencing, instant messaging, face-to-face, social media, text message, closure meetings);
- comparing and contrasting the factors that are influencing communication methods (time zone/geographical factors, personal preferences, language barriers, criticality factors, content of message, specific stakeholder communication requirement, cultural differences, level of report detail, technological factors, report building/relationship building, types of communication, and confidentiality constraints);
- explaining common communication triggers and determining the rationale & target audience (audits, risk register updates, gate review, resource change, stakeholder changes, milestones, project change, project planning, task initiation, and incidence response);
- using a wide range of change control processes within the given context of a project, including identity & document, funding change, regression plan, evaluation impact and justification, timeline change, and scope change;
- recognizing the types of organizational change.
Project Tools & Documentation (21%)
This part revolves around a wide range of technical skills, such as:
- comparing and comparing various project management tools (performance measurement tools, dashboard/status report, project scheduling software, knowledge management tools, and chats);
- analyzing project-centric documentation when provided with a scenario (communication plan, project charter, action items, project schedule, issues log, scope statement, dashboard information, status report, and meeting agenda);
- identifying common partner or vendor-centric documents as well as their purpose (statement of work, request for information, letter of intent, mutually binding documents, warranty, request for a quote, service level agreement, agreements/contract, request for proposal, and so on).
The CompTIA Project+ certificate opens doors of career opportunities for the successful candidates. With this certification, you will become more employable and also likely to earn a good salary. This certificate qualifies you to apply for several job roles. The most popular positions you will be able to get with this CompTIA option are as follows:
- Project Coordinator
- Project Manager
- Business Analyst
- Project Team Manager
- Director, Manager, Team Leader
As for the average salary, it can vary from $50,000 to $160,000 per year. The amount of wages depends on different criteria, such as job titles, related tasks, and working experience, among others.