About CompTIA XK0-004 Exam
The CompTIA XK0-004 exam validates the hands-on expertise of the IT professionals in configuring, monitoring, and supporting the servers running the Linux operating system. The test focuses on the topics, such as security, storage & virtualization, kernel modules, device management at an organizational level, networking & firewalls, Git & automation, server side & command line, server versus client-based coverage, troubleshooting & SELinux. The successful completion of this exam leads to the CompTIA Linux+ certification.
This certification test is designed for the early-career computer support practitioners who possess a general knowledge of computer hardware, software, and operating systems and wants to improve their comprehension of the Linux concepts to prepare for a career in Linux administration or support. The target individuals are recommended to hold the valid CompTIA A+ or CompTIA Network+ certificate as well as possess a 1-year experience in Linux administration. Besides that, the candidates need to develop a good understanding of the topics contained in the CompTIA XK0-004 exam syllabus.
The CompTIA XK0-004 exam comes with 90 questions. The items included in the test are presented in the multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, multiple-response, and performance-based formats. The students are given 90 minutes to complete the exam. To register for this certification test, the candidates must create an account with Pearson VUE, the official administrator of the CompTIA exams, and pay the fee of $338. The applicants can take the test as an online proctored exam or onsite at the nearest Pearson VUE testing center. It is available in several languages, including English, Portuguese, Japanese, and Spanish.
To pass the exam, the candidates are required to reach the minimum passing score of 720 points on a scale of 100-900. To increase the chances of achieving the needed score, CompTIA recommends that the learners prepare for the test with the help of the training tools offered on its official website. The applicants can study for the exam using self-paced eLearning. CertMaster Learn for Linux+ is a useful training solution that combines instructional lessons and videos, practice and performance-based questions to help the prospective test takers reinforce their knowledge of the exam topics. CertMaster Practice for Linux+ is an additional resource that enables the candidates to evaluate their current level of preparedness and identify their knowledge gaps.
To gain the practical skills necessary for success in the certification test, the students can take advantage of the browser-based virtual lab environments. The best thing about virtual labs is that they provide the learners with access to real equipment and software environments. If you prefer a traditional textbook style of learning, you can also purchase the official study guide for the CompTIA XK0-004 exam. The comprehensive details on all these study materials can be found on the official webpage. You can also look through the alternative learning platforms to search for supplementary prep resources.
Before sitting for the certification exam, the candidates need to gain competency in its domains. It is recommended that you go to the official website to download a detailed outline of the exam objectives. A brief list of topics and subtopics associated with CompTIA XK0-004 is provided below:
Hardware & System Configuration – 21%
- Explaining the concepts of Linux boot procedure;
- Installing, monitoring, and configuring kernel modules in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Configuring & verifying network connection parameters in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Managing storage within a Linux environment in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Comparing & contrasting the Cloud as well as virtualization technologies & concepts;
- Customizing localization options in compliance with a specific scenario.
Systems Maintenance & Operation – 26%
- Fulfilling software installations, configurations, updates, and removals in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Managing the users & groups in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Creating, adjusting, as well as redirecting files in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Managing services in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Summarizing & describing server roles;
- Automating & scheduling jobs in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Explaining the utilization as well as operation of Linux devices;
- Comparing & contrasting Linux graphical user interfaces.
Security – 19%
- Applying or attaining the proper user and/or group permissions as well as ownership in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Configuring & implementing the proper access and authentication methods in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Summarizing security best practices in a Linux environment;
- Implement logging services in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Implementing & customizing Linux firewalls in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Restoring, backing up, as well as compressing files in compliance with a specific scenario.
Linux Troubleshooting & Diagnostics – 20%
- Analyzing system properties and remediating them in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Analyzing system procedures for the optimization of performance in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Analyzing & troubleshooting user problems in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Analyzing & troubleshooting hardware as well as application issues in compliance with a specific scenario.
Automation & Scripting – 14%
- Executing version control with the use of Git in compliance with a specific scenario;
- Summarizing orchestration procedures as well as concepts;
- Deploying & executing the fundamental BASH scripts in compliance with a specific scenario.
Career Prospects and Salary Outlook
Linux continues to play a great role in modern IT infrastructures, proving itself to be an efficient and economical solution for day-to-day business tasks within the organizations. As more and more enterprises adopt Linux, the demand for the qualified specialists is always increasing. Earning the CompTIA Linux+ certification provides the candidates with vast career opportunities. In addition, it is often used as a foundation for obtaining the advanced vendor-specific Linux certificates. Some of the job roles that the certified professionals can consider taking up include a Linux Administrator, a Technical Support Specialist, a Systems Administrator, a Network Administrator, a Web Administrator, and a Cybersecurity Engineer, among others. According to PayScale, the average salary that the holder of CompTIA Linux+ can get is around $73,873 per annum in the United States. For specific job titles, the salary outlook may be much more than this figure.