About Microsoft DP-900 Exam
The Microsoft DP-900 exam measures the fundamental knowledge of the professionals of the core data concepts. It also evaluates their skills in implementing these concepts with data services of Microsoft Azure. Passing this test leads to the Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Fundamentals certification.
The target audience for this exam is those candidates who are just starting to work with data in the field of Cloud computing. Although this test does not have any official requirements, it is recommended that the applicants know about the core concepts of relational and non-relational data. They also need to understand the types of data workloads, including transactional and analytical types. Moreover, the individuals can use the associated certification for this exam to prepare for more advanced role-based Azure certificates. However, Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Fundamentals is not a requirement for obtaining any of them.
The students can take the Microsoft DP-900 exam in a wide range of languages, including English, German, Korean, French, Spanish, Japanese, or Simplified Chinese. To schedule this test, they must go through the Pearson VUE website and pay the fee of $99. The exam covers different topics and the applicants must develop competence in these subject areas to enhance their performance.
It should be noted that the students and instructors planning to take the Microsoft DP-900 exam are required to register and schedule it with Certiport, while the non-students should do this with Pearson VUE. The individuals can gain access to numerous resources that will help them prepare for the test. For instance, they can use the official materials. The vendor offers both the paid instructor-led training courses and free online paths. The course, which is Microsoft Azure Data Fundamentals, teaches the applicants the basics of database concepts within the Cloud environment. Those who enroll for this training will get the fundamental skills in Cloud data services as well as knowledge of Cloud data services in Microsoft Azure. This course covers the specific areas of the exam topics and equips the candidates with the practical and theoretical skills required for success in the test. Besides that, four free learning paths containing varying modules are available as well. These variants explore different sections and components of the certification exam. That is why they are considered to be great prep tools for the test takers. You can also use the official practice test to measure your knowledge of the content of Microsoft DP-900.
The skills that will be evaluated in the Microsoft DP-900 certification exam are presented as follows:
Explain Core Concepts of Data (15-20%)
- Describe the core types of data workloads – This area includes explaining the batch and streaming data, characteristics of relational data, as well as the differences within streaming & batch data;
- Describe the Data Analytics core concepts – This part evaluates the skills in explaining data visualization, including visualization, business intelligence, and reporting. It also covers the ability to explain the analytics techniques, basic chart types, ETL & ELT processing, and data processing concepts.
Explain How to Utilize Relational Data within Azure (25-30%)
- Describe the relational data workloads concepts – This topic covers the competence in identifying the proper data offering for relational workloads and explaining the structures of relational data;
- Recognize the basic management tasks for relational data – This module includes explaining the provisioning and deployment of relational data services as well as explaining the deployment methods, such as Azure Portal, Azure PowerShell, Azure Resource Manager templates, and CLI. It also covers the skills in recognizing the data security elements, fundamental connectivity concerns, and query processes for data utilizing SQL;
- Explain relational data services of Azure – This domain validates the expertise in describing relational Azure data services, as well as describing and comparing PaaS, SaaS & IaaS solutions and explaining the Azure SQL product family, including Azure SQL and Azure SQL Database;
- Use the SQL language to describe the query techniques for data – In the framework of this objective, the candidates should demonstrate their ability to compare Data Definition Language & Data Manipulation Language and query relational data in Azure Database for MySQL, Azure Database for the PostgreSQL, and Azure SQL Database.
Explain a Work Process Utilizing Non-Relational Data on Azure (25-30%)
- Explain workloads of non-relational data – This subject area evaluates the competence in describing the characteristics of non-relational data as well as the NoSQL & non-relational data types. The students should also recommend the proper data store and define when to utilize non-relational data;
- Explain the offerings of non-relational data on Azure – The applicants have to demonstrate their competence in identifying the Azure data services for non-relational workloads as well as explaining Azure Cosmos DB APIs & Azure Table storage. It is also required that they possess knowledge of Azure File storage and Azure Blob Storage;
- Identify the basic management tasks for non-relational data – This part involves explaining deployment & provisioning of non-relational data services as well as explaining the deployment methods, including Azure Resource Manager templates, Azure portal, Azure command-line interface, and Azure PowerShell. The candidates should also have an understanding of the concepts of data security, non-relational data management tools, and basic connectivity issues.
Describe Analytics Workloads within Azure (25-30%)
- Explain analytics workloads – This objective includes the skills in explaining transactional workloads and the differences in analytics & transactional workloads, as well as explaining the differences between the batch and real-time. The learners should also understand data warehousing workloads and identify when data warehouse solutions are required;
- Explain the components of modern data warehouses – This section measures the ability to explain Azure data services within modern data warehousing, such as Azure Synapse Analytics, Azure Data Lake Storage Gen2, Azure HDInsight, and Azure Databricks;
- Explain the data processing and ingestion on Azure – This topic covers the proficiency in explaining the basic practices for loading data, components of Azure Data Factory, and options of data processing;
- Describe data visualization in Microsoft Power BI – This domain includes the expertise in defining the paginated and interactive report role as well as the dashboard role. Besides that, the examinees have to explain the workflow within Power BI.
The Microsoft DP-900 exam leads you to the Microsoft Certified: Azure Data Fundamentals certification. This is an entry-level certificate that is designed for those people who are starting a career in the field of IT. The professionals who get this certification can explore different career paths in the domain of Azure Data. This is a highly lucrative field, so the specialists can use their skills to take up more challenging job roles with decent salaries. Some of the positions that the certified candidates can follow include a Cybersecurity Consultant, a Software Engineer, an ETL Developer, an Azure Engineer, a Microsoft Systems Engineer, an IT Messaging and Collaboration Specialist, an Information Security Consultant, a Systems Administrator, a Database architect, and more. The average income that you can earn is about $100,000 per annum. This amount will depend on your title, related tasks, and working experience.