About Microsoft MB-800 Exam
The Microsoft MB-800 exam measures the candidates’ competence in setting up Business Central, performing the Business Central operations, and configuring purchasing, sales, and financials. This qualifying test is associated with the Microsoft Certified: Dynamics 365 Business Central Functional Consultant Associate certification.
The target audience for this test is those Functional Consultants who implement the core application setup procedures for small & medium enterprises. These professionals configure and implement the Dynamics 365 Business Central application, including setting up the core app modules and functionality, as well as migrating data into Business Central. The potential candidates have to possess the skills in running the user interfaces in partnership with implementation teams offering the ease and manageability of navigation to the enterprise. These individuals also have competence in configuring the role centers, which include the adaptation of insights, action tiles, cues, charts, and reports, as well as extending Business Central with the usage of the Microsoft Power Platform elements.
It will be easier for the applicants if they have specialization in at least one of the feature sets of Business Central. It is also recommended that they have a good understanding of the role of Business Central with the main focus on its relationship with the Dynamics 365 suite of apps.
Microsoft MB-800 can be taken in the English language only, and the candidates have to pay the fee of $165 before they can register for and schedule this certification test. Pearson VUE is the official administrator of this exam, and the applicants must go through its website to complete the registration process. As for the structure, this qualifying test contains about 60 questions that usually cover different formats, including fill-in-the-blank, hot area, drag and drop, best answer, multiple choice, short answer, and case studies. The students must achieve the passing score of 720 points of a total of 1000 to qualify to get the associate-level certificate.
To prepare for the MB-800 exam, Microsoft recommends taking its official instructor-led training course, which is Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central Functional Consultant. Those individuals who enroll for this course will be equipped with the skills in managing the financials, securing and automating supply chain, and improving the project performance & customer service. The students will also learn how to optimize the operations and selling smarter. This training option combines theoretical knowledge with practical hands-on experiences to help the professionals achieve excellent success in the test. Besides that, the individuals may explore several learning paths with various modules that are available on the vendor’s website. Moreover, they can use the official mock exam to gain familiarity with the question formats.
To better prepare for the Microsoft MB-800 exam, the applicants must gain a deep understanding of the topics covered in its content. All in all, the domains that the candidates can encounter include:
Setting Up Business Central (20-25%)
- Creating and configuring new companies – This part measures the test takers’ competence in creating a new company within the on-premises and Cloud-based versions of Business Central with the use of Assisted Setup, as well as creating the configuration worksheets & journal opening balances. They should also know how to validate migrated data with the trial balances;
- Managing security – This topic covers the individuals’ skills in creating and managing user profiles, applying security filters, creating and assigning permissions & permission sets, as well as setting up the user groups and new users;
- Setting up the core app functionality – This domain focuses on the candidates’ proficiency in setting up email, company information, report selections, number series, job queues, and printers for Cloud-based & on-premises installations;
- Setting up dimensions – This subject area evaluates the applicants’ expertise in setting up the dimensions and their values, shortcut dimensions, global dimensions, default dimension for account types, as well as default dimensions for multiple accounts & single accounts. The students have to possess an understanding of the process of blocking the combinations of dimensions or their values;
- Using workloads, managing and setting up approvals – This objective includes your competence in setting up document approvals, approval hierarchy, notification system, sales document approval system, and purchase document approval system.
Configuring Financials (25-30%)
- Setting up finance modules – This subtopic focuses on creating fiscal years, accounting periods, payment terms, as well as defining the General Ledger Setup options;
- Configuring account charts – This part tests the learners’ skills in configuring direct posting, creating the account categories and subcategories, as well as creating the general ledger accounts;
- Setting up posting groups – In the framework of this topic, the candidates should demonstrate their competence in configuring General Posting Setup, creating the general posting groups, and specific posting groups, which include the customer, inventory, bank & vendor posting groups;
- Setting up bank accounts and journals – This domain includes the individuals’ skills in creating journal templates and batches, setting up bank accounts, and implementing number series with journals;
- Setting up account payables – This subject area covers one’s skills in creating vendor accounts, setting up payment journals and vendors’ payment information, as well as defining Payables & Purchases Setup;
- Setting up account receivables – This objective focuses on the students’ expertise in setting up payment registration, cash receipt journals, and payment information for the clients. It also covers their skills in creating the customer accounts as well as defining Receivables and Sales Setup.
Configuring Purchasing and Sales (10-15%)
- Setting up inventory – This domain validates the individuals’ ability to create the items and locations as well as set up the units of measure;
- Configuring sales and purchasing master data – This part focuses on the students’ skills in configuring the core customer settings, which include shipping agents, lead time, shipping addresses, and locations. It also covers their competence in configuring the core item and vendor settings, such as order address, location, delivery terms & lead time;
- Configuring discounts and pricing – This topic measures the candidates’ expertise in configuring the best price calculations, invoice discounts, and sales lines, as well as invoice discounts & purchase lines. They also have to be good at creating the customer-specific sales price and vendor-specific purchase price.
Performing Business Central Operations (30-35%)
- Performing the basic tasks within Business Central – This subject area includes the individuals’ skills in utilizing the inspect pages and data feature, applying & saving the filters, customizing roles, and so on. They also have to define the difference between the customizing roles, personalizing users, and designing pages;
- Purchasing the items – This objective includes your proficiency in creating the purchase order and purchase returns, undoing the receipt, receiving the items related to purchase orders. The applicants should also understand the process of creating the posted invoice from the purchase order as well as viewing the posted purchase transaction using the Navigate action;
- Selling the items – This topic includes the learners’ competence in creating quotations, sales returns, and invoices from sales orders. It also covers their skills in configuring recurring sales lines, analyzing item availability, and converting the quotations into orders or invoices;
- Processing financial documents – This domain tests the applicants’ expertise in processing purchase invoices, purchase credit memos, sales credit memos, and sales invoices. It is also recommended that they know how to combine order shipments into a single invoice as well as correct a posted purchase & sale invoice;
- Processing journals and payments – The questions from this part are dedicated to measuring the professionals’ skills in processing payment registration, cash receipt journals, general journal entries & payment journals. They also have to be able to remove the customer and vendor ledger entries, reverse posted journals, and complete bank reconciliation;
- Managing inventory costing – This section focuses on one’s skills in setting up the expected cost posting & automatic cost posting, creating and managing the inventory periods, as well as explaining the relationship between items, value entries, and item ledger entries.
Those applicants who achieve success in Microsoft MB-800 qualify to obtain Microsoft Certified: Dynamics 365 Business Central Functional Consultant Associate. With this certification, they can build a successful career path in the IT field and take up highly rewarding positions with decent salaries, such as a Microsoft Dynamics 365 Consultant, a Communications Consultant, a Project Management Consultant, an Implementation Consultant, and a Microsoft Dynamics CRM Functional Consultant, among others. The average income that the certified specialists can earn is about $83,000 per year.